Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Last Day Blues

It's my last day at work until January 3rd and this combined with the fact my boss is in Chicago, is making me really, really disinclined to actually do anything. And I have stuff to do. Don't think for a moment that a boss-free, last day before the holidays means slacking off, oh no!

Well maybe a little seeing as how I'm ignoring the work and writing this tripe.

I am awaiting some people in Mexico to email me some information so I can ship some large, oversized item there for The Boss. Considering we're talking about a huge, fuck-off sized, posh resort, they weren't much for speaking English when I called them earlier. And most of me thinks "Well why should they? They're in Mexico. We lazy-assed English speakers could make the effort to speak Spanish after all!" but really, an international resort and they don't speak English? My Spanish is nothing to write home about so I was sort of terrified I'd embarrass myself by saying something really lewd instead of what I was trying to say. Let's remember here, almost my entire Spanish vocabulary was taught to me by the mailroom guys at my last job, so really you see my concern.

Side note: They taught me the correct response to anything I don't know the answer to is, "Me gustan culitos grandes!" (I like big asses) and by "asses" I am under no misconception they meant "donkeys" or "burros". "Me gustan burros grandes" however, might be even ruder... If this fails I'm to say "Yo quiero bailar un meringue repiado!" which loosely translated means "I like to get down and dance a good meringue!" which, although no help whatsoever, not to mention a blatant lie, might distract them enough to get away with it.

I also have to compile a comprehensive list of management in NY and London for holiday cards, because there is nothing like leaving these things till the last minute. And even though this year our company have an online flash version of our holiday card whose whole aim is to save paper, The Boss must have paper cards in envelopes. Naturally. Because it is the proper way.

Needless to say, I have no enthusiasm for any of this and I forgot my iPod so I have no music. Gasp! What am I to do without music? Really, they shouldn't even expect me to work in these inhuman conditions.

Anyway, here's wishing you all a happy holiday whatever it is you celebrate (even if you just celebrate cake and presents and booze like me!)