Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Guv'ner Kick Starts Her Social Life

A nice thing about the Uberlord being overseas is, I can come in late and duck out early if I feel like doing something exciting in the early evening like seeing a movie, as I did tonight.

OK, in the grand scheme of things, seeing a movie probably doesn't rank up there with say...stealing a car and driving it into the Hudson while licking Absynthe off a man's naked torso, but that's my life. The movie I mean...not the naked torso Absynthe licking thing. I'm a respectable human being you know. On Sundays. In April. After the 28th.

So I met up with my friend Christina and we went to see "Juno" because I'm sick of the world telling me how "awesome" it is when I haven't seen it to counteract this viewpoint. Naturally, I can be a touch cynical - no honestly! - and I figured an indie movie hitting the box office hard probably means it's fairly average for someone who is used to indie movies, so I was pleasantly surprised that it was excellent and very cute but not in a way that made you want to swallow Draino then put a sword through your spleen or anything. And the great dialogue prevented it from being too saccharine. I surmise that this is because it was filmed in Canada and starred two Canadians, because Canadians are naturally allergic to schmaltz. It's something they put in the drinking water up there. Labatt's I think it's called. Anyway, if it had been too sweet the main characters would have puked all over each other in disgust and that movie would suck. Then I'd have puked on Christina and she'd have puked on the row in front etc. and it would have been like that scene in "Stand By Me" when Lardass eats all the pies.

Juno's boyfriend was just the sweetest thing ever. It was the geeky dude from "Superbad" who looks awkward in his own skin. I like me a skinny nerd boy now and then you know. They're so corruptible. Allegedly... If he wasn't barely legal I'd load him into my trunk and keep him in a box under my bed for a rainy day.

Ahem.

I especially enjoyed the trailer for that piece of crap Kate Hudson/Matthew McConna-hooey romcom that's about to spread its nasty, non-funny hilarity all over us. It took all the strength and will power I had not to stand up and yell, "YOU have no tits Kate Hudson, and YOU are GAYER THAN LIBERACE McConna-hooey so quit pretending!" I just ground my teeth and snarled instead. Who goes to see these things? Are they mental?